[August 2016 update: I currently have openings for piano students in person in Copenhagen, and by Skype from anywhere in the world. Please get in touch for more information.]
I give piano lessons to adults of all levels (including beginners) and younger students of intermediate and advanced levels. I have decades of experience teaching, and you can read below some kind words from some of my former and current students. I teach in person in Toronto, in Stratford, and by Skype anywhere else in the world. If you are interested in lessons, please get in touch and we can arrange a meeting to discuss things.
I enjoy sharing the love of music and helping others find their way to unleash their creativity. One of my maxims is “We play/sing who we are”. As an exploration of this idea, my teaching takes into account the culture, identity, and human potential of the individual. Supported by an extensive knowledge of repertoire and an ongoing passion for discovery and growth, my pedagogical and performance experience offers my students intensive development of their artistic life and their technical skills.
My professional life thus far has consisted of both an active performing career and a busy teaching studio. In both facets of my career my experience is vast and varied. Having lived, worked, and studied in Europe and North America I offer an international perspective.
• My brief period of study under Sandra not only dramatically changed the way I play the piano but also gave me confidence as an artist in general. - CA
• Her passion and skill resonate in her teaching, leaving a lasting impression. -KP
• Ms. Mogensen was an incredibly influential teacher. I write about her with great affection and gratitude. Ms. Mogensen’s approach to performance and art has left an indelible mark on me and is present in my work as a choreographer and artistic director of Blue Ceiling dance and my work as a freelance dancer and actor. What is most impactful from her teaching is self-embodiment, the acceptance of the whole person as an artist, all facets inextricable from the performer. - LR
• Sandra has an ability to use her vast performance experience as an effective tool in her teaching. She upholds an active role in musical performance and development, and this has most recently been manifested in projects such as recent CD releases and concerts of the music of Edvard Grieg. As my piano teacher, Sandra always translated her performance successes and passion for music into valuable teaching moments. - CM
• I had previously spent time with a few other teachers, but Sandra was in an entirely different league. She was both firm and nurturing, pushing me to do my best while keeping a real sense of joy in making music. My playing was transformed under her tutelage, and I always felt that I was being treated like a serious artist. Today, I make my living primarily as musician, teaching piano lessons, accompanying and directing choirs, and composing for theatre. I owe a huge part of my success to the artistry, technique, and musicianship that I learned form Sandra. She is an amazing teacher and musician and I can't recommend her enough! - AJ
• I feel extremely privileged to have studied with such a master of music. Sandra provided me with the confidence to pursue a career in music and for that I am forever grateful. - LE
• …the experience has been transformational. Her teaching style is innovative and uniquely holistic: I am deeply impressed by the way in which she has inspired me to think of art as an essential part of life… - JK
• Sandra has a great ability to help solve any problems, technical, rhythmic, stylistic or personal. - YM
• …she intuitively understood what stood between me and mastering a piece… - MF
• Sandra is not only a talented pianist but also a well-rounded teacher; my studies with her were both enjoyable and efficient. - CA
• Sandra was a phenomenal music teacher in her short time of teaching me. I learned many lessons not only in piano but in life as well. Her teaching strategies helped me greatly in my pursuit in becoming a professional musician. - CD
• No small detail was overlooked, and my overall musicianship improved greatly under her guidance. - AB
• I studied with Sandra Mogensen for one year, and it completely changed the way I played. I became more of a mature pianist through her guidance. - LS
• All of her students miss her terribly not only because of her skill as a teacher but also her huge heart and generosity. - GE